[U-Boot-Users] extending u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 17 15:26:16 CEST 2006

In message <3634de740607170601w324b8ceu604cab95f7a480f4 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

>   There are ONLY 2 ways of doing it - AFAIK
>
>    1) include the test code (commands) as a part of u-boot
>    2) Download the test cases as a part of an app and run it using
> tftpboot or serial port download.

Of course you can also store such standaloine applications  in  flash
(NOR  or  NAND), or on external storage like CompactFlash or USB Mass
Storage devices - assuming your ardware upports this.

>    If we take the second case, can this app access the serial port/drivers.

See doc/README.standalone

>    if yes, What will be the state of u-boot when this app is running.
> wont it  also try to read from the serial port?.

No. U-Boot is strictly single-tasking.

>   Is there any example of such an application?.

Guess what the examples/ directory contains?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A good marriage would be between a blind wife and deaf husband.
                                               -- Michel de Montaigne