[U-Boot-Users] Best place to implement custom "bootdelay" functionnality

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at tbox.biz
Tue Jul 18 10:54:37 CEST 2006

Hi Wolfgang,

On Monday 17 July 2006 20:41, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <200607171733.37832.laurent.pinchart at tbox.biz> you wrote:
> > If the button has been held long enough, I would like to stop the U-Boot
> > automatic boot process, much like a character on the serial port does.
>
> See the other boards which modify boot behavious  depeinding  on  key
> presses at power-on / reset (like lwmon, trab, delta, ...).
>
> > I thought I would implement the button check and LED blink code in
> > last_stage_init(void). I'd like to get advices regarding the best way to
> > then tell U-Boot not to run bootcmd automatically.
>
> The boards we ported usually execute programmable commands when a key
> press (resp. a combination of keys) is detected. Such a  command  can
> for example modify the bootdelay setting, change bootargs or redefine
> bootcmd.

Redefining bootcmd is probably the easiest way to go, I haven't thought about
it. Thanks a lot for the advice.

> > mistake). fpga_load() can easily be called from last_stage_init(), but I
> > wonder if there is a public API to load the FPGA configuration file from
> > a CramFS partition much like the fsload command does. I'd like to avoid
> > duplicate code as much as possible.
>
> Yes, there is. Guess what  common/cmd_fpga.c  and  common/fpga.c  are
> for...

common/cmd_fpga.c and common/fpga.c are used to configure the FPGA from an
in-memory configuration bitstream. What I'm looking for is a function to load
the bitstream from a CramFS partition to memory, much like the fsload command
does. Something similar to fpga_load() would be useful, some kind of
fs_load(buffer, length, partition, filename).

Best regards,

Laurent Pinchart