[U-Boot-Users] MPC8349E-MDS broken in git head, ok at U-Boot-1_1_4

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 21 06:25:10 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I'm using the Freescale MPC8349E-MDS-PB (PCI board)
reference design and am working on getting the board
booted with the latest U-Boot source code obtained
from the Denx git tree.

I'm designing a custom board using the MPC8394E processor
and want to add a new board support option for this
new board when appropriate, but first I want to get the
MDS board working with the head of the git development
tree, so that my changes are based on the latest code.

I checked out (ok, pulled) the latest git source and
built for the MPC8349EMDS target, i.e.,

make MPC8349EMDS_config
make

and then flashed the board, and it does not boot
(well, I don't get a console at 115k baud, and the
source looks like it still uses that rate).

If however, I checkout the U-Boot-1_1_4 branch,
build that, and flash it (using a BDI2000 since
the board won't boot), then we're back to life.
Note that in the 1.1.4 release, the build target
is slightly different, since the board was called
the ADS

make MPC8349ADS_config
make

Looking at the CHANGELOG I can see that there
have been a bunch of changes since the 1.1.4 release;
the MPC8349EMDS board was added, and then merged
with the MPC8349ADS code (actually, there is still
a Makefile target in the latest code for the ADS,
but it doesn't build). Its not clear when the
changes broke the build, or whether the build is
fine, and that I just happen to have my board setup
slightly differently (I've left it in the stock-format
as delivered by Freescale, running in host mode,
standalone).

So I can think of two debug options;

  - go with the latest code and figure out how
    to use gdb and the BDI2000 to debug the problem

  - start using git bisect, and keep working to
    find the break.

Both methods are new to me, so I plan to start out
with git bisect.

If anyone else has any suggestions I'd welcome them.
Otherwise I'll track down the problem and submit
a patch.

Regards,
Dave Hawkins
Caltech.