[U-Boot-Users] AT91 u-boot lowlevel init Dataflash

Marco Cavallini arm.linux at koansoftware.com
Tue Jun 6 10:38:40 CEST 2006

Andreas Schweigstill ha scritto:
> Dear Marco!
>
> Marco Cavallini schrieb:
>> Hi,
>> I am trying to use u-boot-1.1.4 with AT91RM9200 based board.
>> Using Parallel flash all works perfectly, but if I try using u-boot
>> stored in Dataflash i face to some problems and comparing two cases I
>> see that CPU clock are different.
>> Seems that is required a RomBoot provided by Atmel which launch u-boot.
>> Is it really necessary ?
>> Maybe I've miss an option that avoid RomBoot usage ?
>
> You can omit the RomBoot step if you are able to build an U-Boot which
> fits into ~12KB of the internal SRAM.
>
> RomBoot has to be adopted to your target hardware, especially for CPU
> clock and memory initialisation. The Atmel provided RomBoot can only be
> compiled with ARM ADS but there is also a GCC version available:
>
> http://www.teest.com/at91/romboot.tar.gz

Andreas
thank you for answering.
I can't and I don't want to store anything into internal SRAM.
I simply want to use Dataflash AT45xxx instead of Parallel AT49xxx

I digged and found that RomBoot leaves the CPU speed at its initial safe
state (slow).
Clocks: CPU 59 MHz, master 59 MHz, main 18.432 MHz
          ^^^^^^^^^^

Then I added board_late_init into at91rm9200dk.c and there I've set
PLLAR, PLLBR, MCKR like into lowlevel_init.S
Now my board boots with the desired clock speed.
Clocks: CPU 179 MHz, master 59 MHz, main 18.432 MHz

BTW I wonder if could be useful (and appreciated) if I should merge
RomBoot settings into u-boot allowing u-boot to be the one and only
loader for Dataflash too.

Ciao
--
Marco Cavallini