[U-Boot-Users] Help U-Boot NFS filesystem->bootloader MAC

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 8 23:40:56 CEST 2006

In message <200606081540.31714.ngustavson at emacinc.com> you wrote:
> >  In general, a Linux driver shall not make any assumptions about any
> > initialization being done (or not done) by a boot loader; instead, that
> > driver is responsible for performing all of the necessary initialization
> > itself.
> IMHO the MAC is an exception to this.
> Since it's supposed to be hardcoded to the board it's inappropriate for the OS
> to be dynamically assigning it.

Nobody is talking about about dynamical assignemnt.

It's just that the *Linux* *driver* is responsible to initialize  it,
no matter which boot loader you use and what the boot loader is doing
or not doing.

See the FAQ, and follow the links. If you still  doubt  this,  seacht
the  ARM  Linux  mailing  list  archive. This has been discussed many
times before.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
What is tolerance? -- it is the consequence of humanity. We  are  all
formed  of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's
folly -- that is the first law of nature.                  - Voltaire