[U-Boot-Users] Help U-Boot NFS filesystem->bootloader MAC

NZG ngustavson at emacinc.com
Thu Jun 8 22:40:31 CEST 2006

>  In general, a Linux driver shall not make any assumptions about any
> initialization being done (or not done) by a boot loader; instead, that
> driver is responsible for performing all of the necessary initialization
> itself.
IMHO the MAC is an exception to this.
Since it's supposed to be hardcoded to the board it's inappropriate for the OS
to be dynamically assigning it.
Currently we set the MAC from the protected flash of U-Boot into our
Coldfire's fec before starting the OS(which is not necessarily Linux).
The boards can then be appropriatly shipped to customers with pre-programmed
MAC addresses identifying the module, independent of the OS.

I realize this discussion centers around an ARM, however, so there may be
hardware weirdness I don't know about that prevents this type of approach.

NZG