[U-Boot-Users] Problems loading ramdisk

Randy Smith rsmith at imagemap.com
Mon Jun 12 15:01:09 CEST 2006

Hello Michael,

See my comments below...

Michael Sprauve wrote:
> Hi,
> So just make sure I understand your response
> 1)The 50180000 address that I pass to the bootloader
> is the location of where I stored my ramdisk image in
> flash

Correct.
> 2)When I create the ramdisk.bin using mkimage, the
> load address I used (using the -a option) is pass to
> the kernel using the ATAG method along the size of the
> ramdisk

I'm not familiar with the load address option since I've never had to
use it. Perhaps Wolfgang or others will elaborate.
> 3)Because of that, I won't need to use the "initrd"
> parameter in my bootargs

Correct. Though not so sure about the reasoning behind the
conclusion...see below.
> If I understand all of that is correct, then I must be
> missing something else, since after setting my
> bootargs to "console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/ram0
> mem=16M" I still the same error, where it seems the
> kernel can't find the ramdisk location

Try using just "console=ttyS0, 115200" without the root= stuff. It is my
understanding that when you use bootm addr1 addr2, that u-boot will pass
whatever information the kernel needs to find its root device
automatically (ATAGS?).

-Randy Smith
Software Engineer,
ImageMap, Inc.