[U-Boot-Users] mkimage question

Travis B. Sawyer tsawyer at broadcom.com
Fri Jun 16 18:21:31 CEST 2006

I'm sending this to the u-boot list as I figure this is where I'll get
the expert
advise on mkimage, if the wrong list, I'll cross post to linux embedded ppc.

I have a bit of a dilemma.  I'm using mtd in linux for several images:
Linux Kernel
Ramdisk
FPGA code
Das U-Boot (and env vars)

When storing the kernel, I'd like to be able to use md5sum, but since
the kernel does
not take up the entire mtd partition, md5sum fails when I do:

md5sum /dev/mtd1
md5sum uImage

Usually I md5sum uImage > uImage.md5sum and change the file name to
/dev/mtd1
so I can do:  md5sum -c uImage.md5sum

So, I though maybe mkimage -l /dev/mtd1 would work.  No dice:

mkimage -l /dev/mtd1
/tftpboot/mkimage: Bad size: "/dev/mtd1" is no valid image

so,
dd if=/dev/mtd1 of=test.bin
mkimage -l test.bin
*** Warning: "test.bin" has corrupted data!
Image Name:   Linux-2.6.16.16-Sandburst
Created:      Wed Jun  7 14:00:21 2006
Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size:    1280248 Bytes = 1250.24 kB = 1.22 MB
Load Address: 0x00000000
Entry Point:  0x00000000

See ***Warning above.

Anyone have a better approach?