[U-Boot-Users] 1.1.4 and 2.6 kernel

Ilya Yanok ilya.yanok at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 12:35:44 CEST 2006

alfred hitch wrote:
> I am trying to get 2.6 kernel boot on a plattfor very similar to ixdp425.
> We already have u-boot 1.1.1 and 2.4 kernel working for us. But, while
> trying to get the 2.6 working.
>
> I get the Booting image at XXXX
> XXXX
> Starting Kernel ...
>
> And after that nothing.
>
> At this stage I am expecting the "Uncompressing Linux ......"
Looks like kernel doesn't use serial console, have you provided correct
console= boot argument?

> What could be going wrong ? Same board, if I put in 2.4 on a 1.1.4
> version u-boot, it boots fine.
>
> Is it some tty redirection issue ??
> Only change from IXDP425 board is sdram configuration and ttyS1 for
> console instead of ttyS0.
> Suspecting later but then 2.4 shouldnt' have also booted up ?

I'm pretty sure that serial device of your board was renamed from ttyS
to something more specific in 2.6 kernel. Check this.

Second possible reason is that you don't have boot arguments support in
u-boot (your 2.4 kernel may have precompiled boot arguments, check
kernel configuration).

	Ilya.