[U-Boot-Users] Uboot image size reduction

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Mar 6 07:43:11 CET 2006

In message <081d01c640e8$31405d90$e001a8c0 at Vijayakumar> you wrote:

> I am trying to build a uboot image of size 90k.

90 k is a funny size. It does not match typical flash  sector  sizes.
How did you come to such a size restriction?

> Is there any possibility to compress some parts of uboot and decompress into
> the memory when needed?

No. if you think about the code needed to do that you will  soon  see
that  this  does  not  fit  into  U-Boot's  design principles (easily
portable, provide success [and error!] messages as early as possible,
etc.).

> Also i am open to any suggestions which can help me to redue the image size
> close to 90k

Use latest compilers, i. e. GCC 4.x; they optimize much  better  than
older versions.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your
editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.
                - Mark Twain