[U-Boot-Users] compatibility of uboot 1.1.1 with the linux 2.6.11.3 or linux 2.6.x kernels

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 7 08:10:08 CET 2006

In message <26d3a31c0603062047h7ce9539epe61b69100b784362 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> my doubt is* can i use the same uboot 1.1.1 for any kernal i.e for linux
> 2.4.x or for linux 2.6.x* .is that version is compatible .*in the omap ti

Normally you can. There is nothing in  U-Boot  which  would  make  it
specifically dependent on a kernel version; on contrary, we try to be
as generic as possible.

> page they mentioned if u are using linux2.6.x then u should use uboot 1.1.2.
> *
> *why is it so *.

We don't know this kernel tree ... Ask the guys who wrote such a
comment.

> what would be the* problem if i use inbuilt uboot 1.1.1 for my board for
> linux2.6.x??*

We don't know your kernel tree or what it expects.

On the other hand, I've been  using  old  versions  of  U-Boot  (like
0.4.0) with 2.6 kernels without any problems.

> * is that error " bad crc error "  due to that only ?? or due to any other
> factor* .

We could be more helpful if you provided  more  information,  like  a
*comple*  log  of  your  comands and all output. I speculate that you
don't use a correct U-Boot image at al. What exact command do you use
to build the kernel image, and what are the  last  20...30  lines  of
output of this command?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"One planet is all you get."