[U-Boot-Users] Problem with the u-boot1.1.3 booting the uclinux from the jffs2 partition

DeviPrasad Natesan ndprasad at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 02:50:21 CET 2006

Hi all,
I am presently using microblaze target and boot the uClinux using
u-boot (version 1.1.3) from the read-only root file system (mounted
read-only by the kernel command line parameter) from the directory
/boot. Everything works fine.

Just for debugging and testing few application, i mount the root as
read-write and after the uclinux kernel is up, i FTP'ed a big file
like the kernel or any utilities. I can run the ftp'ed application
properly and i can do a ftp get from the target and the image matches.
Everything seems fine until i reboot.

When the system is rebooted, the u-boot when it starts, cannot find
the new kernel and fails after getting the following error.

DRAM:  32 MB
FLASH:  8 MB
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
### JFFS2 loading 'boot/linux.uboot' to 0x25000000
Scanning JFFS2 FS: ../ Unknown node type: e001 len 46 offset 0x581c80
Unknown node type: e001 len 46 offset 0x581cf8
Unknown node type: e001 len 45 offset 0x581d70
Unknown node type: e001 len 45 offset 0x581e60
Unknown node type: e001 len 45 offset 0x581ed8
Unknown node type: e001 len 45 offset 0x581f50
Unknown node type: e001 len 45 offset 0x581fc8
Unknown node type: e001 len 45 offset 0x582040
Unknown node type: e001 len 45 offset 0x5820b8
Unknown node type: e001 len 45 offset 0x582130
Unknown node type: e001 len 45 offset 0x5821a8
Unknown node type: e001 len 46 offset 0x582220
done.
find_inode failed for name=boot
load: Failed to find inode
### JFFS2 LOAD ERROR<0> for boot/linux.uboot!

To make sure that the MTD drivers works ok, i tested the whole
partition upgrade using netflash utility and it works perfectly fine
and the u-boot can boot the kernel.

Is this kinda behaviour as expected or in other words does the u-boot
expects the root-file sytem to be RO only. I am not sure is it becos
of the problem in the uclinux jffs2 or not.  I did include the
"CFG_JFFS2_SORT_FRAGMENTS" in the u-boot and checked and still got the
same problem.

Any pointers regarding this will be appreciated.

Thanx
- Prasad