[U-Boot-Users] Cannot compile fw_env tools in u-boot-1.1.4

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 22 13:55:36 CET 2006

In message <20060322110908.29680.qmail at mx1.aruba.it> you wrote:
> I go under u-boot-1.1.4/tools/env/ and try to do make but I receive the
> following error
>  -> make
> ppc_8xx-gcc -Wall -DUSE_HOSTCC crc32.c  fw_env.c  fw_env_main.c -o
> fw_printenv
> In file included from fw_env.c:34:
> /opt/eldk_3.1.1/ppc_8xx/usr/include/linux/mtd/mtd.h:13:2: #error This is a
> kernel header. Perhaps include mtd-user.h instead?
>
> I tried to include mtd-user.h but there still a lot of errors!!

I'm afraid this is a known problem. The  current  code  assumes  (and
works fine) in a Linux 2.4 based environment, but fails (like in your
case)  when  used  with 2.6 header files. Unfortunately, adapting the
code for a 2.6 context will cause it to brak in 2.4 environments.

I am still trying to figure out if there is a clean way to  find  out
which  environment  to use; I would like to avoid having to probe for
the existience of certain header files in the Makefile.

Any ideas are welcome.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything  to  add,
but when there is no longer anything to take away.
                                           - Antoine de Saint-Exupery