[U-Boot-Users] help understanding bd_t passing

Martin Hicks mort at bork.org
Tue Mar 28 19:13:15 CEST 2006

Hi,

I've got a ppc405gp board that has been running U-boot/Linux for a
while, but using a silly hack in cmd_go to pass in our arguments.  I
haven't quite figured out how the kernel gets the bd_t pointer.  I"m
also confused by the seemingly inconsistent bd_t structures between the
kernel and u-boot.

So what the hacked version of u-boot (hacked by someone else) currently
does is declare a simple bd_t in cmd_go and pass the address of that
as the only parameter when we jump to addr.

((void (*)(void *))addr)(&bd_struct);

Obviously, I'd rather just use the normal method.  It looks to me like
the parameters to addr() ends up being the load address of the kernel,
but when we get to ppc4xx_init() in the kernel it looks like it *should*
be a pointer to bd_t.

Any hints as to how this all works?  I've looked at walnut as an
example, but the bd_t defined in the kernel looks like it starts with
bi_s_version[4] and bi_r_version[30], which look to be at some offset
inside the bd_t defined in u-boot.h

Confused,
mh

--