[U-Boot-Users] Porting u-boot to a new board

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Fri May 19 08:53:27 CEST 2006

Hi G.Sibi,

On Friday 19 May 2006 05:56, Madhu Saravana Sibi Govindan wrote:
> I'm trying to port U-boot to a new board which is based on the 440GP
> processor. It is expected to be similar to the Ebony board from AMCC.
> I'm reading the U-boot source code now. I'd be thankful to the group
> if you could tell me which portions of the code need "special"
> attention while porting, like the TLB entries, peripherals, PLL
> values, the system memory map etc.

A lot of stuff is board specific and thorough knowledge is needed to cope with
those issues. Sorry, but I can't give a cookbook description on how to
proceed.

Here some notes: Important is to start from an existing board port (if
available) that comes as close to your custom hardware as possible. I am not
sure if the Ebony port is this starting point, since e.g. it is equipped with
2 different FLASH's and with an FPGA that provides all sorts of configurable
information. A "simpler" 440GP board is the p3p440 which could be a better
starting point. But be aware that it uses onboard soldered SDRAM and not DIMM
modules. So if your board has DIMM modules you need to change the SDRAM
configuration in your board configuration file.

> Would there be problems if I invoke code for initializing PCI devices,
> but didn't have PCI support on the board, for example?

Not necessarily, but I would strongly suggest to remove the PCI support when
you don't need it.

Best regards,
Stefan