[U-Boot-Users] ST M29W320DB Flash Chip

Robin Gilks robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
Thu May 25 00:24:39 CEST 2006

Madhu Saravana Sibi Govindan wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I know that this question may be out of place, but I thought someone
> in the group might have encountered this situation.
>
> I'm using the ST M29W320DB Flash Chip on a custom board based on
> 440GP. I'm using the  BDI2000 Hardware debugger to burn the u-boot
> code onto this flash. I think I have got my BDI2000 config file wrong.
> So, when I burn the U-boot code, the same byte gets written to all the
> 256 KB of addresses (0xfffc0000 to 0xffffffff).
>
> The following is a snippet of the BDI 2000 config file (I got these
> values by referring to the Ultimate Solutions webpage):
>
> CHIPTYPE    AM29BX8     ;Flash type (AM29F | AM29BX8 | AM29BX16 | I28BX8
> | I28BX16)
> CHIPSIZE    0x400000     ;The size of one flash chip in bytes (e.g.
> AM29F040 = 0x80000)
> BUSWIDTH    8           ;The width of the flash memory bus in bits (8 |
> 16 | 32)
>
> Also, I see this behavior when I do mm, mmh or mmb commands to modify
> the flash memory too.
>
> Has anyone seen this behavior and know how to correct this?  I'm also
> going to write to Ultimate Solutions about this.
>
> Thanks again and sorry if the question is out of place,
> Regards,
> G.Sibi

This is what I'm using on a 320CB on a mpc859 hence the 16 bit rather
than 8 bits wide bus. I see we're using different types even though they
are the same family.

[FLASH]
CHIPTYPE    I28BX16     ;Flash type (AM29F | AM29BX8 | AM29BX16 | I28BX8
| I28BX16)
CHIPSIZE    0x400000    ;The size of one flash chip in bytes (e.g.
AM29F010 = 0x20000)
;WORKSPACE   0xFF002000 ;workspace in target DPRAM
BUSWIDTH    16          ;The width of the flash memory bus in bits (8 |
16 | 32)
FORMAT      BIN 0x40300000

; define enough erase blocks for the bootloader
ERASE       0x40000000  ;erase sector 0 of flash (config blocks)
ERASE       0x40002000  ;erase sector 1 of flash

ERASE       0x40300000  ;erase sector 55 of flash
ERASE       0x40310000  ;erase sector 56 of flash
ERASE       0x40320000  ;erase sector 57 of flash
ERASE       0x40330000  ;erase sector 58 of flash

--
Robin Gilks
Senior Design Engineer          Phone: (+64)(3) 357 1569
PO Box 1645 Christchurch        Email : robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
New Zealand

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.