[U-Boot-Users] fixup section problem.

Txema Lopez tlopez at aotek.es
Fri Nov 3 12:18:38 CET 2006

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>Dear Txema,
>

>Relocation is not board dependent, so if  it  works  onone  board  it
>should  work  for all. Please create your patch for all boards, i. e.
>without CFG_FIXUP_RELOCATION etc., and post it here.  Me  and  others
>will help testing it.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Wolfgang Denk

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm not sure if this patch could work for not PowerPC based
architectures. Taking a look in the U-Boot starting files for mips and
bf533 cpu's, it seems that only the GOT section is relocated in ram, so
the patch probably won't work. Furthermore, there is some fpga's
relocations that I can't understand, and I don't know what is the effect
of my patch for boards with a fpga. I mean I can't supply a patch valid
for all architectures without doing some bugs.

I think the method I suggest you using a new define It's quite
reasonable. I'll summit the patch for the Lite5200's and the rest of
boards will be not affected. If someone want to use or test the fixup
relocation for his board only has to do two changes:
            - cleanup the fixup section from the text section in  the
u-boot.lds file.
            - define CFG_FIXUP_RELOCATION in the board configuration file.

I believe this is the safest way to do it. What do you think?

Best regards,