[U-Boot-Users] u-boot as second monitor

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Tue Nov 7 22:15:13 CET 2006

Wolfgang Denk skrev:
> In message <4550A211.9070706 at dei.uminho.pt> you wrote:
>> I have a TQM823L board that comes with the Mon8xx monitor. I have read
>> about how to install uboot over Mon8xx, but I would like to know if it
>> is possible to generate u-boot  for a different flash address and call
>> it after the Mon8xx boot. If so what should I change in the uboot code?
>
> No, this is not possible. There is no reason  to  keep  MON8xx  after
> installing U-Boot anyway. You won't ever need or want it again.

It is possible, This is how you boot the AT91RM9200 from dataflash.

First the bootROM is executed and this loads "Dataflashboot.bin" into
internal SRAM and jumps to the beginning.
Dataflashboot.bin loads U-Boot into SDRAM and jumps into U-boot.
And no, you cannot replace Dataflashboot.bin with U-boot
(unless you manage to shrink it to 12 kByte)

The at91rm9200dk needs a little tweaking for this to work.
Cannot link it to 0x00000000.

/Ulf