[U-Boot-Users] AT91 Kernel oops when loading kernel from dataflash.

Raúl Sánchez Siles rss at barracuda.es
Wed Nov 8 19:45:33 CET 2006

  Hello all:

  This is the first time I write to the list, and I appreciate the big help it
gives us users.

  We're using an AT91RM9200 based board called Portux920T. We have now a quite
stable kernel and u-boot configuration which I attach. We manage to include a
dataflash inside the portux board and get it to work. At least almost, please
read on.

  When doing big transfers in memory (10M), we have some kernel oopses(see
panic.log.zip attached). The oops comes up in the function __wake_up_common
in the file kernel/sched.c

  The steps to reproduce this are the following:

  1- Start the first bootloader (used the binary provided by atmel).
  2- Make the first bootloader start u-boot(1.1.6).
  3- U-boot downloads kernel(2.6.18) from _dataflash_ into RAM.
  4- Rest of booting till shell prompt.
  5- Execute for example: dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/borrar bs=1k count=10k
  6- Oops!

  If we substitute step 3 for U-boot downloads kernel from _parallel flash_
into RAM, the Oops won't happen.

  The kernel has been patched with the latest maxim(2.6.18) patchset for the
AT91RM9200 microcontroller. The u-boot configuration is also attached
(portux920T.h).

  We have also tried using different first stage bootloaders we could find.
Even we compile it ourselves using the RAM initialisation code taken from the
u-boot. We also have tested several toolchains, from emdebian to the one
provided by portux.

  We have 64MB Ram and we have tried using 64MB 32bit wide and 32MB 16bit
wide. Flash and Dataflash are both 4MB.
  We will much appreciated whatever info or test that could take out from this
works but... situation. Thank you very much.

  Regards,

--
Raúl Sánchez Siles