[U-Boot-Users] Why is ENV_IS_EMBEDDED globally define when NAND bootloader is built ?

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Mon Nov 20 10:21:03 CET 2006

Hi Nick,

On Monday 20 November 2006 09:16, Spence Nick-rxtd10 wrote:
> I am trying to set up a NAND_SPL bootloader for a different PowerPC
> processor.

Good. Additional board/cpu support for this new U-Boot NAND booting feature is
very welcome. :-)

> I want to store the environment variables in the NAND Flash at a
> location above the boot loader, so that I can reprogram the bootloader
> without overwriting the variables when I copy the u-boot-nand.bin image
> into the NAND flash.

Understood. Just a side note: You could use a command that runs "saveenv" upon
updating the U-Boot image. This way you won't loose the environment.

> However in the changes made on Sept 12, the include/environment.h file
> was modified to define ENV_IS_EMBEDDED whenever CONFIG_NAND_U_BOOT is
> defined.
>
> Is there any reason that this configuration setting cannot be moved into
> the board specific include file instead ?

Not really. We can move this define into some board specific place. We should
use the define "CFG_ENV_IS_EMBEDDED" in the board config file though and not
the define "ENV_IS_EMBEDDED".

Best regards,
Stefan