[U-Boot-Users] Please pull u-boot-83xx.git

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Mon Nov 27 22:26:17 CET 2006

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> The problem is that I don't want to see any  such  hard-coded  sizes.
> What  I want is documented in the (very old!) "System Initialization"
> section in the README: we may have to configure for a  maximum  size,
> but  except  from that, U-Boot should auto-adjust to different seizes
> of RAM and flash memory.

If I knew how to auto-adjust, I would have coded it that way.  To my knowledge,
there is no generic way to query to amount of flash on the system when the code
in start.S is being run.  The flash configuration code (e.g. flash_init()) is
executed much later in the boot process.

> What exactly is the meaning of CFG_FLASH_SIZE in your code?

It is the size of flash, in megabytes.

> Is  this  a  _maximum_  size  which  is  supported  by   this   board
> configuration, or the exact size that must be presen on the board?

The maximum size.  The value is used to program LBLAWAR1, so it determines the
size of the memory window.  I'm not expert on these things, but I presume that
the window determines what memory can be accessed.  That is, if you have 16MB of
flash, but you program the window to be 8MB, then you will not be able to access
the upper half of flash.

This issue becomes interesting when it's the other way around - 8MB of flash,
and the window is 16MB.  In most cases, I believe this is mostly harmless.

So one suggested to me a while back that I should just program LBLAWAR1 to 16MB
for everyone.  But then what do I do if a new system comes out with 32MB of
flash?  Or more?  LBLAWAR1 supports up to 2GB of flash.

So I decided to make it board configurable.  If your board has multiple
variations, such as some boards with 8MB and some with 16MB, and it's okay to
program LBLAWAR1 to 16MB for all these boards, then by all means, set
CFG_FLASH_SIZE to 16 and you're finished.

 > If
> the  board  comes  with  a different flash size, what will the U-Boot
> start messages report, and what size will  be  actually  mapped  once
> U-Boot enters interactive mode?

U-Boot will report whatever flash_init() says, which is typically calculated by
querying the hardware.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale