[U-Boot-Users] How do I boot VxWorks (6.3) image with u-boot 1.1.3 :: mkimage entry point and address ?

Niklaus Giger niklaus.giger at member.fsf.org
Thu Nov 30 21:17:50 CET 2006

Chaffin, Michael wrote:

> I have a working system, PowerPC embedded in Xilinx Virtex II Pro, that
> does boot into Linux using u-boot 1.1.3; but I need to load a VxWorks
> (6.3) image and boot from that. I have read the documentation, but I
> don't know what my entry point for mkimage to use, sysInit( )? What
> should my load address be?

You have to pass as address the entry point of the vxworks kernel.
On my PPC405 board I had no problem with the following steps
I have in my config.h a
    RAM_LOW_ADRS       = 00010000 ;
I did no call mkImage for my vxWorks (5.5.1), but copied it directly into
the ram
at an address which does not conflict with my RAM_LOW_ADRS
e.g. loadb 0x00200000 then I call
bootm 0x00010000 ;

On the Yosemite PPC440EP evaluation board, my vxWorks (6.3) hangs too. I had
not yet a chance to figure out why, but I think there might be some
differences into how the HW is mapped into the memory space.

Best regards

Niklaus Giger