[U-Boot-Users] backtrace question

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Oct 12 15:20:56 CEST 2006

In message <1160663540.14274.9.camel at localhost.localdomain> you wrote:

> I'm trying to debug i2c xilinx code to be abble to store environment in
> EEPROM.

Make sure not to add any debug printf's or  so  in  your  code;  this
won't  work  as  the console needs to access the environment (to read
the "baudrate" variable) befor it starts working.

> My code is stoppped at address 0x3FC1078, the relocation address is
> 0x3FA9000. The TEXT_BASE address use to build u-boot is 0x2000000.
>
> So if i'm not wrong I should use backtrace with the address :
> 0x2000000 + ( 0x3FC1078 - 0x3FA9000).
>
> Is that right?

No. If you are talking about my little perl script, then  you  should
follow the instructions and run "backtrace System.map 0xfe057000" (as
0x2000000 - 0x3FA9000 = 0xFE057000). Then type 0x3FC1078 on stdin and
press enter.

> The example in
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/bin/view/DULG/DecodingUBootCrashDumps sounds
> strange, and in my case I will have a negative address. I think that
> there is an error in the example.

I think that's the way it works. At least it worked for me. Feel free
to have a look at the script code.

> I'm coming to you beacause the backtrace (download from denx ftp)
> process start properly but then hang up and did not give any results.

It does not hang, it reads data from stdin. Just type (or copy &
paste) your addresses...

> Any track?

RTFS ;-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The human mind treats a new idea the way the body  treats  a  strange
protein - it rejects it.                                 - P. Medawar