[U-Boot-Users] debug u-boot using bdi2000

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Fri Oct 13 20:34:54 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 18:12 +0000, Reeve Yang wrote:
> My CPU is MPC8345E, it's same as MPC8349E with e300 core. Yes, it only
> supports on hardware break point. I tried it and it didn't work
> either. When I try to single step the code, I got following message on
> gdb session:
>
> Cannot find bounds of current function
>
> Is it possible to debug ROM image? Can bdi2000 debug ram image
> directly? I assume the "load" command is to load image into any memory
> space, including ram, right?

I don't know how well supported your CPU is (I've never heard of it, but
that's not saying much)  Anyway, I've debugged ROM on a couple of
different MPC8349s, but not with 100% success.  I can single-step with
the BDI, and can single-step assembly code, but not C code using gdb.
Probably operator error, but this is about your problem...

You can certainly debug in RAM.  The DULG explains how.

In case it helps, here's my config file.  Not much there!

[INIT]

[TARGET]
CPUTYPE     8349                        ;the CPU type
JTAGCLOCK   0                           ;use 16 MHz JTAG clock
POWERUP     2000                        ;start delay after power-up
detected in ms
WAKEUP      500                         ;give reset time to complete
STARTUP     RESET                       ;halt immediately at the boot
vector

BOOTADDR    0x00000100			;boot address used for start-up
BREAKMODE   HARD			 breakpoint
STEPMODE    HWBP
MMU         XLAT 0xc0000000             ;enable address translation
PTBASE	    0x000000f0
SIO         8023 115200

[HOST]
IP          10.69.69.21
LOAD        MANUAL      ;load code MANUAL or AUTO after reset
PROMPT      BDI_8349>

[FLASH]
CHIPTYPE    MIRRORX16   ;Flash type: Spansion
CHIPSIZE    0x800000    ;The size of one flash chip in bytes
BUSWIDTH    16
WORKSPACE   0x1000      ;workspace in DDR RAM

ERASE       0xfe000000 0x2000 8 ;erase small sectors
ERASE       0xfe010000 0x10000 3 ;erase 3 big sectors for U-boot

[REGS]
FILE        $reg8349e.def