[U-Boot-Users] Slight OT: Lauterbach vs bdi2000

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Oct 16 23:26:16 CEST 2006

In message <87A697E50899F541B77272C331CEB744D4BE at exchange.Q-DOMAIN> you wrote:

> I am looking into purchasing a JTAG dongle for doing U-Boot/Linux
> Porting + Linux Driver development (essentially all GNU stuff).  Would
> anyone recommend Lauterbach over the bdi2000 or vice versa?  And why
> would one pick one over another?

Yes, of course. Lauterbach will recommend ... guess what?, and Abatron
will ...

There are many sides to be considered, including  existing  equipment
and  experience.  When  you have a box from vendor XXX stting on your
desk you  should  probably  use  it.  When  you  have  ten  years  of
experience  using  the  tools from vendor YYY you should probably use
their tools again.

Having said this, I can say that DENX is using the BDI2000 exclusive-
ly, on ARM, PowerPC, MIPS, ColdFire, ... The bdiGDB  version  of  the
firmware  allows  for  an  excellent  integration  in any Linux based
development environment. The biggest advantage is that  you  can  use
the  very  same debug interface for U-Boot, Linux kernel and drivers,
and for application code (there is no difference if you attach GDB or
DDD or Insight or ... to the BDI2000 or to a gdbserver running on the
target). Also, Abatron technical support is the best I have  seen  so
far in the tools area.

Just my 0.02 EUR...

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C6F163.763C9158

Please don't post HTML here. Thanks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in  times  of
moral crisis, preserved their neutrality."                    - Dante