[U-Boot-Users] Slight OT: Lauterbach vs bdi2000

Marco Cavallini arm.linux at koansoftware.com
Tue Oct 17 08:42:10 CEST 2006

>> I am looking into purchasing a JTAG dongle for doing U-Boot/Linux
>> Porting + Linux Driver development (essentially all GNU stuff).  Would
>> anyone recommend Lauterbach over the bdi2000 or vice versa?  And why
>> would one pick one over another?
>
> Yes, of course. Lauterbach will recommend ... guess what?, and Abatron
> will ...
>
> There are many sides to be considered, including  existing  equipment
> and  experience.  When  you have a box from vendor XXX stting on your
> desk you  should  probably  use  it.  When  you  have  ten  years  of
> experience  using  the  tools from vendor YYY you should probably use
> their tools again.
>
> Having said this, I can say that DENX is using the BDI2000 exclusive-
> ly, on ARM, PowerPC, MIPS, ColdFire, ... The bdiGDB  version  of  the
> firmware  allows  for  an  excellent  integration  in any Linux based
> development environment. The biggest advantage is that  you  can  use
> the  very  same debug interface for U-Boot, Linux kernel and drivers,
> and for application code (there is no difference if you attach GDB or
> DDD or Insight or ... to the BDI2000 or to a gdbserver running on the
> target). Also, Abatron technical support is the best I have  seen  so
> far in the tools area.

We have evaluated BDI2000 and used Lauterbach in the past.
Lauterbach is definitely the best choice for debugging many different
target CPU running Linux and WinCE, but debugging environment is mainly
targeted for Windows, and is too much expensive.

At the moment we use Ronetix' PEEDI debugger and support it with our
products. PEEDI has almost the same features as BDI2000 but is faster
and costs less, unfortunately does not support yet PowerPC and MIPS but
supports all ARM7, ARM9, XScale, based MCUs as well as AT91SAM7,
LPC2000, MAC7100, STR7, STR9 and TMS470 families.
It give an excellent integration in any Linux based development
environment too.
It is the only debugger I know that allow NAND Flash programming.
Link: http://www.ronetix.com

HTH
Best regards
--