[U-Boot-Users] Can u-boot work for PC?

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue Oct 17 14:29:05 CEST 2006

OneWinged wrote:

> Hi,all
>
>   I've been thinking this question for long time.There's only one
> supported board of x86 arch. But it's different with PC. There's no
> flash on PC's board, so where should u-boot be stored? I think it may be
> hdd, correct? And PC have rom-bios. I'm trying to make u-boot work for
> PC and find it so difficult.Is there anybody has done this work? Can the
> source for sc520 board be used on PC with some fix?
>
> Best regards!
>
> Alex

There _is_ flash on a "standard" PC, that is what holds the BIOS and is
equivalent (loosely speaking) to u-boot.  Replacing it with u-boot is
theoretically possible, but would be difficult.  The existing BIOS on
your MB supports the hardware on the MB.  To replace it with u-boot, you
would need to figure out all the details of your MB hardware (often
impossible) and port u-boot to support that hardware.  If you are wrong,
you will "brick" your MB.

There are open BIOS projects that would probably be a better starting point.
<http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2401026948.html>

gvb