[U-Boot-Users] eth0: Invalid ethernet MAC address

Ladislav Michl ladis at linux-mips.org
Fri Sep 1 13:51:15 CEST 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 04:30:15PM +0800, kabbin wrote:
> Dear Daniel
>    When I use "NFS" command in u-boot, I got:
>
> Warning: MAC addresses don't match:
> HW MAC address:  00:00:00:00:00:00
> "ethaddr" value: 00:50:C2:42:B2:62

kabbin,

I already answered you on linux-omap-open-source and you ignored my
reply. Why? Again, more detailed. Your omap2420h4 board uses smc91x
compatible chip. This chip uses 128bit serial eeprom to store
configuration. This configuration includes MAC address. Default
configuration is load after chip reset. In U-Boot, you set MAC address
directly into LAN registers (ethaddr), but eeprom remains unprogrammed.
Linux driver resets chip. Program eeprom with valid MAC address. See for
example board/voiceblue/eeprom.c source.

Best regards,
	ladis