[U-Boot-Users] New and updated patches sent to U-Boot maintainer

Keith J Outwater kjoutwater at raytheon.com
Wed Sep 13 23:49:22 CEST 2006

>   . . .
> > 1.  add-xilinx-drivers (new).  This patch adds drivers for Xilinx FPGA
IP
> > cores to the ./drivers subdirectory in U-Boot.  Now all boards using
> > processors contained in Xilinx Virtex FPGAs can use a common set of
> > drivers. All drivers use GPLed code taken from either the MontaVista
Linux
> > kernel sources or U-Boot itself.  Drivers have been tested with the
ANT2
> > and memec_2vpxx boards.
>
> If you're willing, given that this is FPGA-based I think it would be
wise
> to document not only the boards (physical hardware) that are supported
but
> also the specific versions of FPGA-based "hardware", e.g. "PLB EMAC
v2.00f".
> In my experience this has been a problem with things like the Linux ker-
> nel; there is no indication of what version(s) of FPGA-based hardware a
> given driver is designed for.

Tom,
I wholeheartedly agree.  Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a
consensus
between all of the parties involved as to the correct approach.  In the
absence of any agreement, I'm at least trying to get the drivers in a
common area so that we can get things moving.  I'm supporting two
Xilinx FPGA designs (one custom, on eval board) and I have a pile of
patches
that I'd like to get incorporated.  Wolfgang has some issues with the
Xilinx code that I'm going to try and address, but at some point there is
going
to be problems with driver versioning as U-Boot is ported to more Xilinx
FPGA
based boards and as the Xilinx IP cores evolve.  I'm interested in getting
these things resolved because I'm feeling the pain.

Keith