[U-Boot-Users] Newbie questions

Matthew Millman inaxeon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 00:34:02 CEST 2006

On 9/15/06, Ben Warren <bwarren at qstreams.com> wrote:
> There may be some tricks that others can share, but I'm not aware of any
> telnet or other network login servers that have been ported.  There's no
> reason you couldn't upgrade U-boot through Linux (or whatever) if you
> use an MTD-supported parallel flash chip.

>From my poking around I've generally found that while it's there and
powerful: NetConsole  = "Only go there as a last resort"

I've implemented a simple system that works in linux (as above) by
using the MTD 'flashcp' utilty to /dev/mtdXXX, this works very well.

<rant>

As a rule of thumb we're (more or less) designing our hardware around
what U-Boot needs (Which is actually a good set of requirements)
rather than trying to force U-Boot into existing shabby platforms.
IMHO: If you can't do this you should probably be writing your own
bootloader.

I'm also amazed at the amount people from large organisations asking
the same questions that started this thread, We have U-Boot running on
SEVEN different platforms here, all using different CPUs, two
different architectures and different endiannesses, from the time we
started to now I've asked ONE question of this list (which wasn't
answered, and I figured it out anyway). how hard can it be??????????
just read the README and go look at the d**m code!!!!!!

</rant>

(sorry about the HTML)