[U-Boot-Users] keeping build date and time up to date

David Byron dbyron at hheld.com
Sat Sep 16 02:12:19 CEST 2006

On Friday, September 15, 2006 @ 3:50p, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message <030701c6d8fc$ca4f9850$7934800a at RudiDell> you wrote:
>
> > I was looking at how U-Boot gets the date and time in
> > the version string and I noticed that it doesn't get
> > updated for each build.  I'm using an arm-based
>
> Who says it should?? ;-)

Ummmm....me. :)

> > -VERSION_FILE = $(obj)include/version_autogenerated.h
> > +VERSION_FILE = version_autogenerated.c
>
> Here you ruin the new support for building in a different directory.

You're right.  It should be $(obj)version_autogenerated.c

> Check you patch for other, similar issues.

I didn't find any.  If you know of some more, I'd love to hear about them.

> Also, all of this looks overly complicated to me.

I agree.  I think it's the CONFIG_IDENT_STRING support (w/ the extra program in
tools) that makes it complicated.  If other folks have solutions to this, I'm
interested.  There are enough references to CONFIG_IDENT_STRING in the code that
removing it seems like a no-go.

The rest of it seems pretty straightforward though.

I'm hoping that centralizing the version stuff so individual boards don't have
to worry about it justifies the complexity.  That and having a correct
date/time. :)

It also seems like just leaving version_string and removing the U_BOOT_VERSION
preprocessor symbol might further simplify things.

> If the time stamp is important to you, run a "make clean" first ;-)

Here's hoping the smiley face is strong enough that you'll consider accepting a
patch so the time stamp is correct without having to clean first. :)

Thanks much.

-DB