[U-Boot-Users] dtb in env sector - was: (Try 2) Please pull ...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 3 14:49:23 CEST 2007

Hi,

in message <1175593151.12080.17.camel at gentoo-jocke.transmode.se> you wrote:

> This is probably a little off but I am thinking about were to
> put my dtb on the flash and it occured to me that it could fit into the
> environment sector as the environment doesn't use the whole sector.

It is you who defines the usage of yoru flash.

> But one can't just write it into that sector without take measures to
> preserve the environment.

What measures? No matter where you store it in flash  you  must  make
sure   it's  an  otherwise  unused  area.  The  unused  part  of  the
environment sector is not much different.

> Is this a bad idea?

I think it is not a good idea. When something  goes  wrong  during  a
"saveenv"  you lose your dtb. THe environment is still secured if you
use redundant environment, but your dtb is gone.

I would use a dedicated flash sector, but that's just my $ 0.02

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The IQ of the group is the lowest IQ of a member of the group divided
by the number of people in the group.