[U-Boot-Users] dtb in env sector - was: (Try 2) Please pull ...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 3 14:53:09 CEST 2007

Hi,

in message <46122D99.3080408 at gmail.com> you wrote:

> That is an excellent idea and should be one of our goals: to better
> coordinate the dft and env variables.  As the penultimate goal, I
> believe we could move the env variables _into_ the dft and replace the
> get/set env routines with dft get/set routines.  I'm still thinking
> about this... env variables are used very early in power up (before RAM
> is initialized), but I haven't seen any reason that it /can't/ be done.

This depends on how much resources your code needs. Remember that  we
have  to  read  the  environment  before  relocation,  i.  e. without
writable data segment, without BSS, and with just minimal  stack  and
global storage (assume 128 bytes or so :-).

> The downside of dfts is that the code is bigger.  My preliminary size

We will  probably  also  have  to  keep  the  old  code  for  special
requirements  - for example, some systems store the environment in an
EEPROM.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
This is now.  Later is later.