[U-Boot-Users] Where to put semi-common files?

Jon Loeliger jdl at freescale.com
Tue Apr 3 21:09:18 CEST 2007

Wolfgang,

We are needing to introduce the 8544 DS board soon.
It's board is essentially identical to the board in the 8641HPCN.
Both boards have an FPGA on them that controls carious system
parameters and configuraiton parts, including the reset logic
that we've already discussed.  That FPGA is called "PIXIS" and
has support code for it already added to the 8641hpcn's directory.

Naturally, we need exactly the same code for the 8544 DS board
now too.  But it can't be in a shared board directory, nor are
the two SoC parts even in the same CPU families.  One is 85xx,
the other is 86xx.  The FPGA isn't really a device for which one
might think "driver/", so that likely isn't the right directory
either.  Perhaps lib_ppc/?

Actually, there are other very similar bodies of code that are
shared across boards and CPU families (for example, the DDR setup
code in spd_sdram.c).

Do you have a good place where you would like to see this sort
of shared code?  It is easy enough to pick up just the parts that
are wanted during compilation due to CONFIG options, but we need
a directory from which we can share these sources.

Recommendations?

Thanks,
jdl