[U-Boot-Users] Added a custodian status page to denx.de/UBoot

Aubrey Li aubrey.adi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 02:56:59 CEST 2007

On 4/6/07, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> In message <27d85ee10704050821j19a6bbd8j19e820b8ee47727d at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> >
> > I have some patches in hand, and they are not common enough to be
> > committed into mainline, but they are really useful for the user.
>
> Sounds like an oxymoron to me. If they are usefulk  to  many  people,
> then why are they "not common enough to be committed into mainline"?

-- The patch like Mike posted here, clobber the u-boot style, but make
u-boot more portable.
>we've moved TEXT_BASE out of the build system for Blackfin and into the config
>header so that when porting to a new board, users dont need to set both the
>CFG_MONITOR_BASE and TEXT_BASE to the same value in two remotely different
>files
>
>for u-boot general though, i'd like to apply the attached patch that simply
>says only utilize TEXT_BASE in global common files if it is set ... that way
>everyone else can continue to use TEXT_BASE in their board specific .mk files
>while in Blackfin, we can simply unset it

-- The patch like the SPI patch I posted here, need time to be
processed, but because it's a bug, u-boot can't work properly without
it.

-- The patch like ATA patch in my hand, we enabled the TRUE IDE
feature for CF flash card access, but the configuration of the
hardware we are using need to clobber the common file ./include/ata.h,
 because the ata register map is not in a common way.

-- etc.

> > So, I'm thinking, keep two branches in the git repository,
> > one is for upstream, I put everything needed to this branch request
> > Wolfgang to review and merge;
> > the other is master, I apply all unacceptable patches on this branch,
> > so that user can clone it and simply build to get a more feature
> > u-boot.
>
> OK, just do it exactly the other way round: master is  for  upstream,
> and  you can have a "testing" or "cutsom" or whatever branch for your
> local stuff.

That means users have to learn more than one git command.
if master for the users, they just have to git-clone and build;
if another branch for the users, they have to clone and create branch.
But yes, it's not a big deal, just my thoughts.

Best Regards,
-Aubrey