[U-Boot-Users] prob. faced in UBoot with 64MB SDRAM

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue Apr 10 14:42:19 CEST 2007

Nethra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I m using U-Boot 1.1.2 for custom board similar to MPC8272ADS board.
>
> On board it has 64MB Micron SDRAm and 16MB AMD flash.
>
> When Uboot is configured for 16MB SDRAM it works fine.
>
> A)But the same Uboot after doing necessary changes in OR1 to configure it
> for 64MB SDRAM.it fails to comeup properly.
>
> So for 16MB
> OR1:0xFF0030C0
> for 64MB
> OR1:0xFC002CC0
>
> and other SDRAM register value remain the same
>
> BR1                   0x00001841
> PSDMR               0x8266B73E
>
> PSRT                0x4B
>
> MPTPR               0x1300
>

> when we debugged the Uboot through BDI we found that it always hangs after
> relocating the code in SDRAM.
>  but we ar not sure what could be the reason.....
>

> B) Also we found that same uboot for second board with same SDRAM and FLASH
> it comes up properly.
> And after configuring boot arguements environment variables.It will download
> the kermel image
> and after uncompressing kernel image and mount NFS properly.
> But when the root prompt comes board will get reset and again start
> executing uboot.
> and this get repeated in a loop.
>
> C) One more observation on the second board where uboot comes up properly
> and kernel +Ramdisk boot arguments are configured.
> both kernel +Ramdisk image will be copied from tftp and start executing
> properly without any problem.
>
> As far as HW is concerned both the board is same w.r.t to components
> mounted.
>
> kindly help in this respect with possible solution.
>
> Thanking you.

Hi Nethra,

Your SDRAM initialization sequence (PSDMR & friends) is most likely
wrong for the new RAM devices.  What worked with the 16MB SDRAM is not
going to work with the 64MB SDRAM, timing parameters are nearly 100%
guaranteed to be different.
   <http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBootCrashAfterRelocation>

Best regards,
gvb