[U-Boot-Users] Testing todays u-boot-fdt

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu Apr 19 17:24:20 CEST 2007

Jerry Van Baren wrote:

> The bad version error is because you are running a version 16 blob and
> you need a version 17 blob to allow modifications.  David Gibson has an
> intention of upconverting a v16 to v17 as part of libfdt, but neither of
> us has gotten around to doing it yet.

In that case, "libfdt: FDT_ERR_BADVERSION" is a really useless error message.  Please
change it to something like, "Cannot modify this version (v16) of the device tree".

Now that we support multiple version of the device tree, it is very important that error
message are clear.  On a working system, it's unlikely people will update their device
tree.  They'll just update the kernel and U-Boot, and so people using older versions of
the device tree need to be told very clearly what they can and can't do.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale