[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for patch to configure networkparameters

Robert Schwebel r.schwebel at pengutronix.de
Sun Apr 22 09:27:48 CEST 2007

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 07:30:00AM +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> Just seems easier for a camel to pass the famous hole in the needle
> than to get a patch in to u-boot.  Have been trying to split a file
> into two parts for 3-4 months and that has caused endless emails to
> and from.

while listen_to_arguments; do
	change patch until everybody is happy
done

> Just enjoy working with people that takes an objective view.

Objective views are an illusion of management :-) Technology is
different. And OSS gives you all the possibilities, including the chance
to review your own argumentation :-)

> I have looked at ptxdist and felt it was a little too much in a flux
> for my taste. It seems more advanced than buildroot that I am basing
> myself on. If I was working on this as a full time job, I would
> probably use ptxdist instead of buildroot.

Well, PTXdist has stable releases since 2002, and yes, it is developing
at a high pace. That's how open source projects evolve. One can whine
about things which are not there or one can ask for features or one can
contribute patches or buy support. That's no different with ptxdist,
u-boot or any other project out there. By the way, 0.10.6 is a very
stable version. But that's probably something to discuss on another
mailing list.

> I want the configuration to be done without serial port communication
> Connect to Ethernet, wait for LED to blink, next board....
>
> According to Wolfgang, this promotes other people's evil doings and
> you must select a non-efficient solution if you want to use main tree
> u-boot.

Well, we have done similar things in the past. You will always have
things in your patch stacks which are not for upstream, due to several
reasons (no time to do things right, crappy intermediate projects who
don't provide clean patches, quick hacks, features which are not
implementable in a modular way etc.). That's why PTXdist projects make
it possible to add arbitrary patch stacks to any packst. You can start
with a vanilla version, add your 17 ready-for-upstream patches plus your
very-personal-one-which-is-not-ready to the queue and 'ptxdist go'.

Robert
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9