[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for patch to configure networkparameters

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Sun Apr 22 10:45:29 CEST 2007

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 07:30:00AM +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>> Just seems easier for a camel to pass the famous hole in the needle
>> than to get a patch in to u-boot.  Have been trying to split a file
>> into two parts for 3-4 months and that has caused endless emails to
>> and from.
>
> while listen_to_arguments; do
> change patch until everybody is happy
> done

In this case, my goal is to create a useable way of configuration
for limited parts of U-boot outside U-boot.

Wolfgang just stated that he will not accept any patch making that
possible,.
The only allowed way to configure is within u-boot.

It is very difficult if the very principle of the patch is unacceptable.

Wolfgang has said (1 year ago or so) that he wants all configuration
in one place, so Kconfig is out unless you have a single Kconfig file
covering all cpus/board/versions etc.
I disagree with that principle, so I believe that I am the wrong person
to suggest or implement any configuration for U-boot, because
I cant imagine any such patch that Wolfgang will accept.

We just dont think alike.

> Well, we have done similar things in the past. You will always have
> things in your patch stacks which are not for upstream, due to several
> reasons (no time to do things right, crappy intermediate projects who
> don't provide clean patches, quick hacks, features which are not
> implementable in a modular way etc.).

> That's why PTXdist projects make
> it possible to add arbitrary patch stacks to any packst.
> You can start with a vanilla version, add your 17 ready-for-upstream
> patches plus your
> very-personal-one-which-is-not-ready to the queue and 'ptxdist go'.

Which is good and completely different to Wolfgangs approach
to make it as difficult as possible to maintain out of tree patches
in the hope that no nonGPL versions of u-boot will appear.

Personally I see this as insisting to have the drivers door of a car  locked
at all times to avoid theft while not caring about the other doors,
allowing easy access for thieves, but forcing the driver to enter any
door except his own.

> Robert
> --

Best Regards