[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for patch to configure network parameters

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Apr 22 22:31:03 CEST 2007

In message <462BC189.2040502 at freescale.com> you wrote:

> Although, to be honest, this is very handy for me because these are the
> MAC addresses that have been assigned to the MPC8349E-mITX board in our
> lab.  This way, every time I build an image, it's guaranteed to have the
> right MAC addresses.  I don't need to run some kind of script to set up
> my variables.

I understand that it may be handy for you, but it may be a  debugging
nightmare for your users, and it may generate a lot of support calls.

> Is there some easy way for me to specify personalized config options at
> build time?

Use a script to auto-install your board. Expect is a great  tool.  Or
at least make sure that these settings never go out to a customer, i.
e. make sure they are fixed during production (probably when you save
serial  numbers  etc.).  But  IMHO it's definitely better not to have
these build in at all.

> I agree, but if every board has the same flash image, how do we specify
> a different MAC address for each one?

Normally you do this during production. It depends  how  your  boards
are  manufactured  and tested - if testing includes to boot the board
at least once, then this is where you can add such customization.

> I don't see how.  Not every company has a manufacturing process that

See all my previous postings.

> allows that.  This is especially true for reference boards, which aren't
> supposed to be used in a public environment anyway.

Ummm... all Freescale reference boards  that  make  their  way  to  a
customer run in a "public environment".

Anyway - there are standards which shold be adhered to, and they make
it pretty clear that you must not use the same MAC address  for  more
than one board.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything  to  add,
but when there is no longer anything to take away.
                                           - Antoine de Saint-Exupery