[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for patch to configure networkparameters

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Sun Apr 22 23:50:54 CEST 2007

> I understand that it may be handy for you, but it may be a  debugging
> nightmare for your users, and it may generate a lot of support calls.

One of the main driving forces behind my efforts is to reduce the number of
support phone calls, by significantly reducing the complexity of getting a
board
up and running.

>> Is there some easy way for me to specify personalized config options at
>> build time?
>
> Use a script to auto-install your board. Expect is a great  tool.

Expect is Linux specific. I want to be able to do things using
tools as simple as Hyperterminal, or even without serial line at all.

> at least make sure that these settings never go out to a customer,

> i. e. make sure they are fixed during production (probably when you save
> serial  numbers  etc.).  But  IMHO it's definitely better not to have
> these build in at all.
>
>> I agree, but if every board has the same flash image, how do we specify
>> a different MAC address for each one?

> Ummm... all Freescale reference boards  that  make  their  way  to  a
> customer run in a "public environment".

If  you, like me, dont deliver any boards, then you do not have this
problem.
It is the reponsibility of the user of the S/W to ensure that it is
used in a restricted environment like production or development
where the MAC address can be selected at random.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson