[U-Boot-Users] RFC: hidden environment variables

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 24 02:12:10 CEST 2007

In message <462D3F5A.1040307 at freescale.com> you wrote:

> The level of hiding that you're talking about is more extreme than the level we're talking
> about.  We're just talking about not having the variable show up when you do "print", so
> that it doesn't pollute the list of variables that the user does want to interact with.

You cannot know what the user wants.

> Hidden variables aren't complicated.  I think the idea is elegant and useful.

I disagree. See my the example in my previous message why they are
evil.

> Again, this is a user interface issue.  Why expose a variable to a user that he shouldn't
> touch and can't use?

It's not up to you to decide that he should not touch it or  that  he
cannot  use it. He can do *everything* on this system. Including very
stupid things, but maybe also a few pretty clever things.

This is why I love U-Boot and always feel frustrated when I  have  to
deal with things like a x86 BIOS (ah, great, it offers serial console
access, so I can do remote administration easily; now what - the RAID
controller needs ALT + F1 ... on the serial line... grrrrghhh).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The best things in life are for a fee.