[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for a make option to include an additional stand alone program directory

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu Apr 26 22:09:10 CEST 2007

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> You cannot link non-GPL code into U-Boot.

What if I use mkimage to merge u-boot.bin with proprietaryfirmware.bin?

If that doesn't work, what if I burn u-boot.bin into flash at some location, and then burn
proprietaryfirmware.bin into flash at another location, and then I create an an image file
by copying all of flash?

It depends on how you define linking.  I would say that taking two binaries, one from GPL
code and one from non-GPL code, and just merging them into another binary, that cannot be
a GPL violation.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale