[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for a make option to include an additional stand alone program directory

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Apr 26 22:15:44 CEST 2007

In message <463106E6.20203 at freescale.com> you wrote:

> > You cannot link non-GPL code into U-Boot.
>
> What if I use mkimage to merge u-boot.bin with proprietaryfirmware.bin?

Will U-Boot at any time call any  functions  or  jump  to  any  entry
points or otherwise execute any code in this firmare image?

> It depends on how you define linking.  I would say that taking two binaries, one from GPL
> code and one from non-GPL code, and just merging them into another binary, that cannot be
> a GPL violation.

You are right. If the images are indeed independent, and U-Boot  does
not run any code in the "other" one, then this is fine.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.