[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for a make option to include an additional stand alone program directory

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Apr 26 22:10:20 CEST 2007

In message <4630FC72.6050700 at freescale.com> you wrote:

> No, in our case, the binary is provided to us as-is.  We just need to put it on the flash
> image.  Basically, Freescale has two development directions: the open source repositories,
> like the ones on denx.de and kernel.org, and the BSPs.  One problem I'm trying to address

This sounds as if you were moving on pretty thin ice.  I  don't  know
what  you  are  doing,  but you cannot create a U-Boot or Linux based
"BSP" which is not also open source, or, to  use  the  correct  term,
FRee Software under GPL.

> is that the BSPs typically have stuff that you won't find on the external repos, like this

If it's U-Boot or Linux based, then it's GPL anyway.

> binary.  There's no way I can provide the binary in the denx.de repo, so the next best
> thing is to make its inclusion automatic.  If the binary exists, then the code from

I my be reading you wrong, but this smells to me like trying to  work
around the GPL.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A girl with a future avoids the man with a past.
                                   -- Evan Esar, "The Humor of Humor"