[U-Boot-Users] Issues with u-boot on PPC440EP Bamboo

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 18:44:00 CEST 2007

Hi All,

I seem to have a Bamboo board that U-Boot hates.  Using any version
newer than 1.1.4, I get the following error on boot up:

U-Boot 1.2.0-gb23b5475-dirty (Aug  9 2007 - 09:49:20)

CPU:   AMCC PowerPC 440EP Rev. B at 400 MHz (PLB=100, OPB=50, EBC=25 MHz)
       I2C boot EEPROM disabled
       Bootstrap Option D - Boot ROM Location EBC (16 bits)
       Internal PCI arbiter disabled, PCI async ext clock used
       32 kB I-Cache 32 kB D-Cache
Board: Bamboo - AMCC PPC440EP Evaluation Board
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  ERROR: DIMM 0, unsupported refresh rate/type.
Replace the DIMM module with a supported DIMM.
ERROR: Tcyc incorrect for DIMM in slot 0
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

This is a stock board from AMCC from a couple years ago.  I haven't
done anything with the DIMMs in it, so they are whatever came with the
board.  Both PIBS and U-Boot 1.1.4 report a DRAM size of 192 MB, so
I'm assuming something with the SDRAM probing in newer versions of
U-Boot is causing the error above.

Any ideas?

josh