[U-Boot-Users] Linux hangs just at the beginning

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri Aug 10 12:19:21 CEST 2007

Hi Raul,

> I understand now that the problem is in the Linux kernel (version 2.6.15,
> for U-boot I am using 1.1.6) because the command "bdinfo" shows me the
> parameters and all is OK.

And you are sure that your kernel sees the same info?  "bdinfo" shows
you the U-Boot side of the story.  One *very good* reason of moving to
flat device trees is not being bitten by non-matching C header files.

> I thought I would need to initialize the console because U-Boot has
> already done.  I know my problem is now out of the reach of this
> mailing-list, but anyway, I would appreciate if you could tell me
> where and when I should initialize the console in the Linux kernel
> (in my case I am using a MPC866 and the console is on the SCM1).

When your kernel correctly supports the SMC1, it is only a question of
using "console=ttyCPM1,${baudrate}" (maybe adjust the 1 regarding
actual SMC/SCC support in your kernel).

Cheers
  Detlev

--
The 82558 B-step and later generation devices do not maintain a link
in D3 if PME is disabled or if the device does not have power.