[U-Boot-Users] Cleanup output of MPC83xx boards

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Aug 12 20:41:19 CEST 2007

Dear Tiur,

in message <46BF39E1.2010904 at freescale.com> you wrote:

> > -       puts ("Initializing\n");
> >         msize = fixed_sdram ();
> > -       puts ("   DDR RAM: ");
> >
> >         return msize;
> >  }
>
> Kim is really the one to be answering this, but I'll chime in since I'm reading email now.
>
> I'm all for making 83xx more like other boards where it makes sense.  Unfortunately, I am personally not really aware of what other boards do, or what the U-Boot norm is, so I would need to be told on a case-by-case basis what is different about 83xx.

Can you please restrict your line length to some 70 characters or so?
Thanks.

U-Boot "norm" is that the common framework will print "DRAM:  " before
it starts the memory sizing and testing, and the size it found once
that completed. That makes some nicely aligned output like here:

	CPU:   MPC5200 v1.2, Core v1.1 at 396 MHz
	       Bus 132 MHz, IPB 132 MHz, PCI 66 MHz
	Board: TQM5200 (TQ-Components GmbH)
	       on a STK52xx carrier board
	I2C:   85 kHz, ready
	DRAM:  64 MB
	FLASH: 32 MB
	In:    serial
	Out:   serial
	Err:   serial

In the code above, "Initializing\n" and " DDR RAM:  "  strings  break
this; then it looks like this:

	CPU: MPC5121e rev. 1.0, Core e300c4 at 264 MHz, CSB at 132 MHz
	Board: ADS5121 rev. 0x0001 (CPLD rev. 0x03)
	       Watchdog enabled
	I2C:   ready
	DRAM:  Initializing
	   DDR RAM: 256 MB
	FLASH: 64 MB
	In:    serial
	Out:   serial
	Err:   serial

This looks not only ugly, but the "Initializing" and "DDR RAM:"
strings also don't add any  new information, so let's get rid of
these.

> > I think something like this should be applied toi the following files:
> >
> > 	board/sbc8349/sbc8349.c
> > 	board/mpc832xemds/mpc832xemds.c
> > 	board/mpc8360emds/mpc8360emds.c
> > 	board/freescale/mpc8323erdb/mpc8323erdb.c
> > 	board/mpc8349itx/mpc8349itx.c
> > 	board/mpc8349emds/mpc8349emds.c
> > 	board/mpc8313erdb/sdram.c
> >
> > Also, if I understand this correctly, these  files  use  a  hardwired
> > memory  size.  I this correct?
>
> I think so.  There is a define for the memory size, but off the top of my head, I think it's only use to saw the LAWBAR.
>
> > Do you have any plans to bring this in
> > line  with  the  normal  U-Boot  design  philisophy  which  uses  the
> > memsize() function to automatically detect and adjust for the size of
> > memory  really  present on a board, allowing to use the same image on
> > differing configurations?
>
> I don't know of any plans, but then, I didn't know it was a problem.

It is not a problem in terms of  malfunction,  but  it  violates  the
design  rules,  and  there  is  IMHO  no  good  reason to give up the
flexibility that's built into U-boot  here.  Also,  the  memory  size
function  serves  as  a  very simple but prettu efficient memory test
that will help to detect 95% of all typical RAM related manufacturing
problems. When U-Boot prints "DRAM:  0 MB" you know exactly where  to
look at.

See also http://www.denx.de/wiki/UBoot/DesignPrinciples

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A consultant is a person who borrows your watch, tells you what  time
it is, pockets the watch, and sends you a bill for it.