[U-Boot-Users] Software upgrade using U-boot

hemant kumar goforhemant at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 18:11:20 CEST 2007

Hi All,

I have a linux 2.6 kernel running on ARM9 based target. i have a U-Boot as boot loader.
I need to do a software upgrade.I am explaining my approach :-

My system is having a well defined GUI with touch screen on it.So when running linux application with GUI and touchscreen
user can send a command that he wants to upgrade the software ( include kernel + root file system + application) via touchscreen GUI.
As far as my understanding goes i think application need to write something on flash( let us say change flag=1) so that next time when system reboots it U-boot read the variable status from same flash location so that  it should not boot from flash and use tftfp downlaod and when download gets completed it changes the status of variable in order to make u-boot loading image from flash for next time onwards.

Is it possible to do the software upgrade like the way i have explained , if not pls suggest a better way of doing it using U-boot.But my only requirement is, i dont want to go to U-boot command prompt and do the upgrades manually. I need some kind of automatic approach which basically start when my application is running.

Thanks
KVM