[U-Boot-Users] Software upgrade using U-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 13 19:54:12 CEST 2007

Hello,

in message <904278.43213.qm at web60120.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> My system is having a well defined GUI with touch screen on it.So when running linux application with GUI and touchscreen
> user can send a command that he wants to upgrade the software ( include kernel + root file system + application) via touchscreen GUI.

Please mind the Netiquette and restrict your line leght to some 70
characters or so.

> As far as my understanding goes i think application need to write something on flash( let us say change flag=1) so that next time when system reboots it U-boot read the variable status from same flash location so that  it should not boot from flash and
> use tftfp downlaod and when download gets completed it changes the status of variable in order to make u-boot loading image from flash for next time onwards.

This is one of the many ways to do this..

> Is it possible to do the software upgrade like the way i have explained , if not pls suggest a better way of doing it using U-boot.But my only requirement is, i dont want to go to U-boot command prompt and do the upgrades manually. I need some kind of a
> utomatic approach which basically start when my application is running.

There are many, many ways to do suftware updates, and U-Boot supports
many of them. Of course, a lot of stuff can also be done under Linux.

It is impossible to give good recommendations without knowing your
exact project requirements. Here a few questions you should
contemplate about:

- Is it allowed to run the update under U-Boot (when the normal
  function of your device is not available), r do you need more or
  less uninterruptd operation, so you must at least perform the
  installation of the new code under Linux?
- How important is an (automatic?) fall back for you, i. e. how are
  you goingt to handle the situations when a software update gets
  interrupted or fails or if it completed but the new installed
  software fails to run correctly for some reason?
- Do you always require network access for updates? How about other
  installation methods, like using a USB memory stick?
etc.

Please mind the netiquette and NEVER quote completely unrelated stuff
here.

Also, never top post / full quote.

Please read http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

> ad><body><div style=3D"font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;=
> font-size:12pt"><DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman=

And never, never ever again post HTML here!

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
 The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.